Tsarksoe Selo
Catherine Park | Turkish Bath (1850–1852)

Built to commemorate the victory over Turkey in the 1828–29 war, the Turkish Bath was the last pavillion to be built in the Catherine Park.  Inside was a fountain and a specially constructed 10 foot deep bath.  The domed roof was gold-plated and the interior was richly appointed, of course; many of the interior elements used had been taken as war trophies from palace of the Sultan’s wife in Adrianople.  The Turkish Bath was almost completely destroyed during the Nazi occupation; in 1952 the exterior was restored.